Another is Ken Wright who played Union and League in the 1970s.
See an excellent example
of his sidestepping ability
in the 3rd Test against The All Blacks in 1978.
Find this on the excellent rugby DVD "Rugby in the 70s"
my dvd player showed it at 2:6: 42:30
Hipwell gathers an awkward ball from a line-out.
He passes, missing out five-eigth Tony Melrose,
the ball going straight to
inside centre Ken Wright.
Wright`s fantastic sidestep takes him in behind
the All Blacks defence
and he races across field before
Greg Cornelsen goes in at the corner,
getting his third try of four tries for the day
in a memorable win for the Australian Rugby team.
they seek him here, they seek him there -
it seemed to be so hard to catch
the amazingly elusive rugby winger
Australian sidestep practice
The dark arts
of the rugby sidestep are being kept alive
by dedicated practioners
in secret locations.
Note - the sounds on the video are Australian Kookaburras,
New Zealand sidesteps
New Zealand is a great example for both quality and quantity of sidesteps
captured on camera in high level games.
But where do they come from? That`s a difficult question!
Of course, beating opponents one-on-one is an extremely important part of
the game. Especially (but not only!) in the backs - so evasive skills should
But it`s not of supreme importance if your team wins most games anyway with
stratagies which require little use of the backs - which was the chosen way in
the past, especially in NZ.
So, there is a bit of a tradition to use the sidestep, but nowhere near as
strong as in Wales.
Having read a number of books on the subject, it is clear to me that a number
of top New Zealand players had real sidestepping skills when sidesteps
were beginning to boom.
They were excellent sidesteppers. They could describe how they did it -
many sidesteppers can`t do that.
- What are rugby sidesteps? You beat players with clever footwork.
- Why do they say sidesteps are exciting? Because it`s true!
- What do they look like? Fantastic! See video clips on this site.
- Done in a flash, but talked about for years? It`s true!
- What rules relate to rugby sidesteps? Just the basic rules.
- Where can you do a sidestep? Anywhere! Not just on the field.
More quick questions
- Which players do them? Players in any of the rugby positions can.
- Me, produce something from nothing with a sidestep? Absolutely!
- I`m new, help? Learn the basic rules then the clver footwork!
- What do I need? Strong legs, strong ankles, believe it`s possible.
- Where can I see a sidestep? Look for good rugby videos.
- Can I get a sidestep? Yes! You can do it on this site.
And some more!
- More than one sidestep? Sort of, there are a few variations.
- Could I be a sidestep sensation? You`ve got to believe it, practice!
- Is it easy to do sidesteps? It`s easier than many think it is.
- Still talking about sidesteps 30 years later? True! See rugby clips.
- Have fun with sidesteps? Certainly! For the rest of your life!
- Am I young enough/old enough to learn? Probably, if you think so!